Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Caleb's Hat and Summer Time!

Caleb LOVES this hat. He wears it all day long. It says "Grandpa's 'lil Fishing Buddy".  Summer is coming. I gave the boys their "summer buzz" a few days ago.
Today the school is having a "Camp Read A lot" day. It's a fun field day for the kids that read 25 books during March and April. School is out on Friday and I am trying to come up with some fun summer activities for them. I found an idea that might be helpful
Monday - Make something Monday. I thought of play dough, bubbles, beads. (Really any craft or project. I just have to plan it out so I can be prepared.)
Tuesday - Time to Read - Go to the Library. The library does a summer reading program we are going to go on Tuesday to check it out.
Wednesday - What's cooking Wednesday. I am mostly thinking treats, but I might teach Kaelynn some basic cooking skills too. She loves "cooking school". Popsicles, ice cream (we have an ice cream maker thanks to Jeff and Sarah) or smoothies.
Thursday - Be thought Thursday. Write letters, do service.
Friday - Somewhere fun Friday - OK this one is going to be different then the things we used to do up North. I am thinking we are going to do a lot of exploring. Since we live in the middle of nature it will be great for the kids. There are lakes, canals, waterfalls, hikes, and so much more.

I also do summer reading with my kids. When I was younger my mom used to pay us a penny a page for reading in the summer. Last year I paid 5 cents. Kaelynn earned almost $20. I might have to re-think my program. But she is reading chapter books, so it might still work out at 5 cents a page. Now that Tyler is a pretty good reader I might be broke by the end of the summer, but it's all for a good cause.

On a side note: Today Ben called the contractor to see how the bid was coming on our house. He said he would call us tomorrow because he was waiting on his suppliers.

3 comments:

Ben, Tana, B.A., and Dirk said...

I LOVE your summer idea! I might steal some, or all of it. I didn't know you where that far along in the 'obtaining of a house'. I am excited for you guys to pick things out that you want, like a house plan. Keep us posted.

sarah said...

I was thinking of doing something like this, too. I might wait until next year when Eli could appreciate it a little more though. Such a fun idea!

David and Mary said...

Cute ideas... I like that you are bringing back the penny a page idea, but you have raised it to 5 cents a page.. Good job! Did you ever think to give a dollar for a book report with pictures! Kaelynn might go for that and earn some big money :) Summer is a fun time.. I love it.